What is the UBU Award?
- It’s a scheme run by UBU to recognise all our volunteers, including student reps, execs of sport clubs and activity groups, community volunteers, council members and more.
- There’s three levels you can achieve
- Some extracurricular opportunities are level 1 and/or 2, and some allow you to achieve all the levels
- You have the academic year to achieve one of the awards
- It is split into the following;
- Engagement hours
- Skill development
- The requirements for each level is explained here
Engagement counts as stuff you do that’s required by your role. It could be attending meetings, sending emails, completing paperwork required like finance and event forms, turning up to sessions or volunteering and more.
We ask for you to complete the required training for the opportunity you are engaged with. Some have specific sessions and others require minimum number of hours across different types of training. This could be residential weekends, skill workshops during the year or online modules organised by UBU.
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Business and commercial awareness
- Communication and presentation skills
- Financial literacy
- Information and digital literacy
- Innovation and enterprise
- Management of set and own performance
- Planning and organising
- Problem solving and decision making
- Professional values
- Team and customer working
During your volunteering you would develop at least 1 of these skills. More information on these skills can be found on the Careers website here https://www.bradford.ac.uk/careers/develop-skills/
Why take part?
- Employers regard involvement in extracurricular activities as equally important as part-time employment while studying at University
- The scheme will give you a record how you developed skills during the year for you to use in job applications
- You get certificates from UBU and mentions on your degree transcripts as part of the HEAR scheme
- Getting involved in our opportunities via Kick Start or other UBU extracurricular activities allows you to meet new people and have fun
Submission form can be found here