Union Council is the highest elected decision making statutory body within UBU. This means that it is Council that decides how things are done.
- Union Council can initiate adjustments to the constitution, approve or reject motions (which may define policy or call for action), and set up forums.
- It also oversees the work of the Student Executive and media areas. All decisions are governed by its Standing Orders.
- It consists of 10 elected councillors ("lay members"), the Student Executive, School Representatives, and Sports & Societies representatives that are elected at AU and Societies Federation Council.
- Any member of the Union can attend a Council meeting and ask questions. Only the elected delegates can vote.
- Union Council meets a minimum of 4 times per semester. It gives all Officers the chance to interact, learn and develop in their roles, and everyone the opportunity to know what each officer is doing and to hold them accountable.
- Motions can be submitted to Union Council via e-mail to the Democracy & Campaigns Assistant, firstname.lastname@example.org, or by asking at reception for the Union Affairs Officer. Motions must have a UBU student as proposer, and as seconder, and 15 UBU students as "assenters" who sign to say they want the motion discussed. To find out more about that and other by-laws, and the deadlines for submission, please get in touch at the earliest opportunity. We will try to help you get your business ready for Council.
What does a Union Councillor do?
- Union Councillors are the people that collectively decide the policy of UBU. The Council is complemented by General Meetings of all students and the Annual General Meeting.
- The primary role of a Councillor at UBU is that of representation.
- Each councillor has a mandate, which indicates the predominant area in which they work. These areas include campaigning, elections, and activities, amongst others.
- Councillors are responsible for dealing with the Union’s representational and campaigning activity.
- They debate and agree the union policies and review the activity of the Executive Officers and hold them to account.
Council Meeting minutes
29th September 6:00 p.m. Richmond D2
18th October 6:00 p.m. Open Council – Union Mall
17th November 6:00 p.m. Richmond D2
8th December 6:00 p.m. Open Council – Union Mall
26th January 6:00 p.m. Richmond D2
27th February 6:00 p.m. Bradford Council Chambers
23rd March 6:00 p.m. Open Council – Union Mall. You can also listen to the meeting here.
3rd May 6:00 p.m. Richmond D2 (N.B. date has changed since the Team Bradford calendar was printed)